Planks for nothing!
A Brooklyn man says he was injured after falling through a gap in the planks on the problematic Coney Island boardwalk, new court papers show.
Mark Leyderman was walking on the Riegelmann boardwalk at West 5th St. and Surf Ave. about a half mile from his home on Aug. 4, 2019, when he fell “through the planks on the boardwalk,” his Brooklyn Supreme Court lawsuit from Monday alleges.
Leyderman is suing the city and the Department of Parks and Recreation claiming that they “negligently and carelessly caused the walkway portions of the boardwalk and the planks on the boardwalk … to become and remain in an unsafe and dangerous condition,” the court documents allege.
The planks became “a snare and a trap,” the court filing claims.
The lawsuit did not specify what Leyderman’s injuries were.
The 52-year-old West Brighton Beach man is suing for unspecified damages.
The boardwalk has been plagued with maintenance problems that go back at least 15 years with seven lawsuits filed against the city in 2005 and 2006 for injuries people suffered on the two-mile-long promenade.
In 2010, residents complained the boardwalk was still dangerous despite having been overhauled with new planks.
Two years later, in 2012, a woman had to be rescued after her leg fell through a loose plank which required a saw to cut her loose.
And locals were still complaining of the potential hazards of the boardwalk last year noting that there were loose planks and that screws and nails were coming unhinged, CBS reported.
City Law Department spokesman Nicholas Paolucci said “We can’t comment on any of the particulars. We’ll review the suit.”
Neither the Parks Department nor Leyderman’s lawyer immediately returned a request for comment.
Source: New York Post
The post Brooklyn man sues NYC after falling through gap on Coney Island boardwalk appeared first on -.